Nittany Knits

Monday, November 06, 2006

I know many knitters are going through a yarn-hangover right now. After four straight days of Stitches East at the Baltimore Convention Center, I have taken the day to do nothing but recover. Luckily, someone in my children's school district ( a knitter no doubt) had the foresight to schedule a teacher in service day today, so I had to take the day off of work. Darn.

I did get some time yesterday to stop by the Caps to the Capital area at Stitches. I made a cute hat that will be sent to the President in January to demonstrate that Americans want to do more to save the lives of newborns around the world. Four million newborns die each year within the first month of life- half within only the first 24 hours after being born. All the caps that have been donated will then be delivered to newborns and families in countries that Save the Children works. Be sure to check them out (savethechildren.org) and mail them your own handknit or crocheted hat before January 2, 2007.

In other cool news, the latest Interweave Knits is out and has, among other great articles, a great story about a gal who has a website called microRevolt.org that encourages other knitters and crocheters to join her crusade against sweatshop labor. Corporate logos are her focus and she offers a free software program that lets you turn any image saved as a GIF, JPEG, or PNG file into a knitting pattern. This allows you to knit any logo you want from Barbie to Nike on your favorite hand knits!!!! Check it out.

I'm off to speed knit some more of my unfinished projects. The more projects I wipe out, the quicker I get to start my new list of must knit immediately projects. Happy Knitting...

1 Comments:

  • Convenient. And here I thought you took the day off to spend with your kids!

    By Blogger Large Marge, at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home