Nittany Knits

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Did you know that every year 4 million babies die within the first month of life? That is equivalent to the number of babies born in the United States annually. 99 % of these deaths are in developing countries. Half of those babies die within the first 24 hours. Three out of four of these newborns could be saved by low-cost solutions. One such solution is knit caps to keep the babies warm.

After reading this information that was published in the New York Times, 'Caps to the Capital' was formed six months ago. Today, over 288,000 hats are stored in a three story storage facility waiting to find some way to ship all these hats to their final destination. That's the power of knitters!

Tonight, a reception was held at The Textile Museum in Washington, D.C. and I was lucky enough to get to be a part of it. The amazing Cokie Roberts was the host of the event, and she could not have been more wonderful. The reception was held in two rooms that are about the size of my living room, so lots of mingling occcured with many lovely people.

Here's the link to their website. Check it out!http://www.savethechildren.org/assets/images/hp-011607/caps-piled-high-hq.jpg

Since I was in D.C. for the day, I stopped by the Capital Hill Stitch DC location. What a great store! Everyone was so nice, and I made a significant purchase of this incredable yarn called Lacey Lamb from Jade Sapphire Exotic Fibers in China. It's so good it comes in it's own box with lots of writting you can't pronounce unless you know Chinese. It's Blueblood Red and so soft that tears lept to my eyes the second I touched it. Emotion shot through me and I thought I was going to weep openly!!!!!!!!! No one else has touched it yet because they were just unpacking it, and I got the only four skeins of Blueblood Red. There are no words for my joy today.

If all this were not good enough for one day, I lunched at a great spot in Dupont Circle called Teaism (yummy) and stopped on the way home at the Silver Spring Trader Joes.

What a day!

Happy Knitting!

4 Comments:

  • Sounds like a FABULOUS day, dahling! And yes, Christmas in January is great...the gift that keeps on giving but, alas, no snow! There was a beach, though, and a lighthouse and a wonderful restaurant...

    By Blogger Giantsknitter, at 9:39 AM  

  • so... here's hoping the snow holds out so we can all experience the joy!

    By Blogger Large Marge, at 12:10 PM  

  • I love Teaism!! Sounds you had a great day!

    By Blogger Jody, at 2:43 PM  

  • Aww What a great day you had. wished we could have met up. We def. have to meet up for knitting and lunch.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home