Nittany Knits

Friday, April 06, 2007

A trip to the book store yesterday led me to discover that we are not alone. We of course being the kind of people who go to great lengths and expense to knit what others spend $3.95 on at the local big box store. Apparently knitters are not alone.

The bright colored paperback with a giant red tomato on the cover beckoned me over to the bargain book table. Of course it was a bargain book. We who out of synch with the rest of society would not be looking on the best seller list for one of our own. The title had me. "The $64 Tomato". I instantly notice the publisher is the same one that Miss Debbie Stoller and Miss Stephanie Pearl-Mcphee use. Once again showing that birds of a feather flock together.

As I begin to read the back cover I realize that the author of this book, a Mr. William Alexander, is a misled knitter. He has instead gravitated to the gardeners. The title reflects the author's realization that after all of his investments into his garden, his tomato cost him $64. This is not the best part. It is the reaction of his children. They are so disgusted with his obsession, that he overhears them complaining about his "hobby". The one daughter goes so far as to wish he could be an alcoholic couch potato like all the other fathers. WOW. And I thought I had a hostel household!!!

The book is described as "How One Man Nearly Lost His Sanity, Spent a Fortune,and Endured an Existential Crisis in the Quest for the Perfect Garden." Sound familiar????? Hitting a little close to home for me.

Happy Reading and Happy Knitting!

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home