Nittany Knits

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

I am only one,
But still I am one.
I cannot do everything,
But still I can do something;
And because I cannot do everything,
I will not refuse to do the something that
I can do.
Edward Everett Hale's pledge to the
Lend-a-Hand Society
As I have mentioned before, if you finish a hand knit or crocheted item for the 2007 Knit-A-Thon I will find a home for it. However, some items are always more popular than others due to the popularity of the charity or just for speed of project completion. Whatever the case may be, let's look at some of these projects.
The SOS project is a group who delivers baskets to women at Howard County Hospital on the day of their breast cancer surgery. In the baskets are handmade pink scarves, along with many other items. These do not have to be solid pink.

The Howard County Hospital also collects caps for preemies and newborns. These are so quick and cute, they are our most popular category!
Lap blankets for area Nursing Home patients are are always appreciated. Blankets or other household items for Habitat for Humanity are great. The charity always likes to have hand made items in the homes for their new owners.
Hats, mittens, gloves and scarves are collected for every age range. The cold weather is right around the corner and members of our community will need our stitches to protect them from the elements.
This year I am also mentioning the Animal Welfare is asking for pet blankets. Washable would be the key here! Let's not forget that our four legged friends are part of our community, too. In a crunch for time? How about felting some quick and easy pet toys?
I just finished my helmet liner last night. It's our only project collection for members outside our immediate area, and it's a quick and easy project. Solid dark wool is used for this project(mine is charcoal from the most wonderful yarn that still smells like sheep from Minnesota). We are trying to get enough for a unit of special ops (19 people) who are very grateful for these items.
Hope that helps you select your projects. Let me know if you are stuck on finding patterns. I can't wait to see all of your projects on October 6th!!!!!!
Happy Knitting!

1 Comments:

  • What an inspiring quote. I could use a day of knitting with friends.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home