Nittany Knits

Monday, January 14, 2008

Friday night at the National Aquarium in Baltimore is the best time to go. They have a program called 'Friday After Five" and they reduce the admission to only $8 after five o'clock. Considering it is usually $18 per person to get in, most families in the area attend on Friday nights.

I had a non-knitting house guest breaking my measuring tapes and causing general disruption, so off we went to the Aquarium on Friday night.

We were greeted by this awesome fish sculpture outside the Aquarium. I know the fish is supposed to be wrapped in a net, but it looked too much like a ball of yarn for me to pass it by without a photo.

Once inside we got to see great animals (some of them were celebrating the weekend by getting a little busy and bring on the bow-chicka-bow-wah). One of the best non fornicating animals of the evening was one I knew the knitters would appreciate.

This fish is called a California Sheephead fish. It not only has a great name, but a great story. Turns out this fish starts out a female, and after about 7 years it turns into a male. Yep, you read that correctly. Now every female that was in attendance was very shocked by this info, and many considered becoming shark bait prior to letting this occur. I think that point of view might be a bit harsh. Why not change first, and then decide whether to become shark bait?

I must recommend the area below where the sharks are for knitting. They play very relaxing music where the sharks are (I couldn't tell if it it was to calm the sharks or the visitors) and you can hear the music where the benches are. You also get to watch the stingrays in this area. The only downfall is the lighting is not great, so I wouldn't work on a dark project.

Remember that today is 'Knitting For Me Monday'. Hope you are knitting yourself something great!

Happy Knitting!

2 Comments:

  • I had a friend over last weekend who kept messing with my sheep measuring tape and I wanted to slap it out of her hands for fear she'd break it. It was literally making me cringe.

    By Blogger Lindsay, at 2:12 AM  

  • Wow! Thanks for the Aquarium info.

    Usually $18? Website says $21.95

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home